Difference Between ASP.NET Server Controls,HTML Server Controls and HTML
ASP.NET Server Controls
1. ASP .NET Server Controls can however detect
the target browser's capabilities and render themselves accordingly.
No issues for compatibility issues of Browsers i.e page that might be used by
both HTML 3.2 and HTML 4.0 browsers code to be written by you.
2. Newer set of controls that can be used in the same manner as
any HTMl control like Calender controls. (No need of Activex Control for doing
this which would then bring up issues of Browser compatibility).
3. Processing would be done at the server side. In
built functionality to check for few values(with Validation
controls) so no need to choose between scripting language which would
be incompatible with few browsers.
4. ASP .NET Server Controls have an object model
different from the traditional HTML and even provide a set of properties and
methods that can change the outlook and behavior of the controls.
5. ASP .NET Server Controls have higher level of
abstraction. An output of an ASP .NET server control can be the result of many
HTML tags that combine together to produce that control and its events.
1. The control of the code is
inbuilt with the web server controls so you have no much of direct control on
2. Migration of ASP to any ASP.NET application is difficult. Its
equivalent to rewriting your new application
HTML Server Controls
1. The HTML Server Controls follow the
HTML-centric object model. Model similar to HTML
2. Here the controls can be made to interact with
Client side scripting. Processing would be done
at client as well as server depending on your code.
3. Migration of the ASP
project thought not very easy can be done by giving each intrinsic HTML control
a runat = server to make it HTML Server side control.
4. The HTML
Server Controls have no mechanism of identifying the capabilities of the client
browser accessing the current page.
5. A HTML Server
Control has similar abstraction with its corresponding HTML tag and offers no
1. You would need to code for the browser compatibility.
HTML Intrinsic Controls
1. Model similar to HTML
2. Here the controls can be made to
interact with Client side scripting
1. You would need to code for the browser compatibility